The importance of language learning is unquestionable. Not every one has been born in China, or in English speaking areas there for he/she can easily communcate with billions of people.
“A man who knows four languages is worth four men.”
– as the saying goes.
Monolingualism has advantages and disadvantages. I have never heard anything bad/disadvantageous about speaking multiple languages.
A fairly rigorous, but consistent mother tongue makes it much easier to learn a foreign language.
For exemplar English has a pretty simple structure. If an English meets with the Russian language then he will face some diffculties in the grammatic.
The language is not unlearnable for him/her, but Hungarian or German mother tonque makes things easier. However if someone speaks a world language then this person is not forced to learn a foreign language.
Foreign languages are in a pretty terrible position in the schools. There are only couple of subjects, which are more dreaded like mathematics, nature sciences.
The reasons for this are:
- language learning claims patience, endurance
- the process of improvement is not linear
- there are some difficulties to set/achieve goals because of the complexity of languages
- there is no universal methode to learn languages efficiently.
There are many misconceptions:
- language learning is expensive
- it is only wasting of time
- it never pays off.